Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hills and Belows

It was once written "You are the light of the world, A city on a hill cannot be hidden". For the last week I have been residing in the mountains of Tucson, AZ. I have been staying in a city literally built into a hill. The beauty of it all is breathtaking. The air is crisp, sharp and clean. It is true that nothing is hidden from view from where I stand. Anyone below could look up and see the glowing lights of this house. We are here on this hill with no place to hide. It's given me a great perspective on these words. It's shown me what it means to be exposed. But, that's not all.
Every morning when I drive down the mountain for coffee and every evening when I drive the kids back up from our fun activity of the day (I'm helping friends with their kids for a week of vacation) I notice something. We top this large hill on our way down or up and all of the sudden the entire city comes into view. My heart races each time we come to the pinnacle as I am literally overcome by the view. To see an entire city from your vantage point you realize how small you are and how vast the world really must be. If one city can make you feel so small imagine viewing the earth from the palm of your hand. I've realized something about a "city on a hill". Not only are you visible and unhidden you also have a clear view of what is below. They can all see you and you can see them.
A scary accountability comes with setting yourself on a hill. Not only do you allow yourself to be seen but you allow yourself to see all. You now see the pain and the beauty of a city. You will be held accountable to all you see and what you do about it. I can't just wish to be seen in this world. To stand for something and to be open about it isn't enough. To be seen and To See are now one in the same. Don't wish to be looked upon unless you wish to see. Don't wish to see unless you hope to act.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Paula..that means alot coming from you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Beautiful and convicting. Honored to call you friend, Friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talitha..that means alot. I've learned alot of this from you..truly.

    ReplyDelete