Friday, August 20, 2010

My New Shirt, My New Way

I bought a new shirt a few weeks ago. I shouldn't have done it but, it was really cute and really on sale. So, I gave into the desire to splurge on this soft, airy, white, linen shirt. It had been quite a while since I had invested in a new piece of clothing that I really wanted. So, to me, this shirt felt like a little treasure.
This morning I awoke with one thing on my mind: I was customer of the week at Starbucks! Yes, I had the much coveted honor of receiving a free drink every day this week from my local Starbucks. So, I put on my new shirt, walked out with my great attitude and headed on my way to Mecca (Starbucks on Perryville). I arrived with a smile on my face and a song in heart. I ordered an Iced, Triple Grande, Nonfat, 2 pump Vanilla Caramel Macchiato. I began to drink and sank into the morning bliss that is coffee. I got to work so joyed with my morning thus far and as I unlocked my office door, to begin diligently working on my daily tasks, I looked down and saw it....Espresso was stained down the front of my treasured, soft, airy, white, linen shirt.

I stopped dead in my tracks and pouted, yes, I pouted. I went into my office and briefly toyed with the idea of just leaving it and taking care of it when I got home because I had a full day ahead. But then I realized a few things. I had worked hard to earn the money I used to buy this shirt. I also realized that my appearance, be what it may, is the first thing I give people as a representation of who I am. Now, my appearance isn't all I am but it's undeniably a part of me. So, I stopped it all and went to the closest bathroom, spent 10 minutes scrubbing, and got most of the stain out. My little treasure was bruised but not beaten.

I say all of this not to receive your sympathy or a truckload of gift cards for a new shirt, although both would be greatly appreciated :). (I kid) But, I say all of this because immediately upon arrival back to my desk I saw a correlation between my morning and my mission. My community is a little treasure of mine. The people in this community are the true treasures (paid for at the greatest price) and of the utmost value. If there is a stain on this community, be it poverty, injustice, lack of resource, it is my job as a investor in the community to stop what I'm doing and explore the solutions. I can't take care of it later because the longer a stain lies untouched the greater the lasting impression. It is an urgent moment in Rockford. There are stains on this community that have lain untouched for a long time and one way or another I've gotta find a way to make them less visible. I have to find a way to add hope, resource and justice..and maybe a little Tide :) and see how much of this I can scrub away. My little treasures deserve that. So, wash your clothes people, protect your valuables, and don't let the stains set in. I love you all and God Bless your journeys..I know He's blessing mine :).

P.S. (The other photo below relates to the following story: Yesterday we were able to take a donation of 6 boxes of children books and donate them to a local school that was in desperate needs...Look at the treasured teachers in this community..How could you not love them :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment