Thursday, August 5, 2010

Vista Day: 1

I do believe that at this certain point in my life I am coming into contact with dreams I have hoped and prayers I have spoken. In essence I am watching things that I have prayed for and hoped for begin to unfold before me. To clarify, today I began my year long service term with the Americorp Vista Program. I am an official government volunteer. I could not be more honored to give my time to anything more worthy than the fight against poverty.

For seven years I have studied my faith and the faith of others. I have looked for the truth and have found that I believe in a much higher power. I have noticed peace and understanding flood in where anxiety and ignorance once lay dominant. I have seen inner healing replace a heart ravaged by disease. But, in the midst of all of this personal healing I have found that I have become a professional patient. It is time to look beyond myself and share life with those who lack opportunity.

I was once a occupant of a land that lacked opportunity and hope. I was a child present in a community of little resource and even less hope for a bright future. I believe that because someone chose to "see" me..to notice me and offer me an opportunity to move forward that I am who I have become. Opportunity acts as a bridge for some to become all they TRULY are inside. Lack of hope creates fear and quenches beauty inside of the human heart. I remember that feeling and my goal this year is to build a bridge for someone to cross as I once did myself.

In closing I just want to say thank you to all of the people who have made this year a possibility for me. Monty and Renee, thank you for your vision, passion, love of coffee, and most of all your passion for the hurting. Jeremy and all of the Rockford First Team, thank you for your trust and love of this community. Anna, Dustin, Zee, Brent, Justin (my Care Strategy "Friends" :) ) thank you for your inspiring lives and even more inspiring futures..they truly are bright (I'll be there for you, cause your there for me too ;) ) . To my Vista Volunteers, you have taught me more in one week about social justice and acceptance than I have ever learned in my life...it is invaluable and thank you will never be enough. And to my entire purpose I say "I owe my life to you".

3 comments:

  1. Callie, it is that spirit that will allow you to literally rescue thousands of people. You are a treasure. Let the journey begin. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear Callie. I'm so excited that you're part of the Americorps fam. We are kindred spirits indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible blog! Could not have captured the experience better myself! Thank YOU for being the Salt and the Light. I got your back FRIEND! I can't wait to continue to work with you through this year as a fellow VISTA!

    J

    ReplyDelete